Former ally says Anwar a desperado for crossover plan

Sunday September 14, 2008

KOTA BARU: Opposition leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim is a desperado for hatching the Sept 16 plan to topple the Federal Government, Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Datuk Seri Ahmad Zahid Hamidi said.

“What is certain is that Anwar’s ways of trying to initiate a crossover (of Barisan Nasional MPs) is untimely and could harm the country’s peace and stability,” Ahmad Zahid said of his former mentor.

Asked about his past alliances with Anwar, Ahmad Zahid retorted: “What can Anwar give me? Is he willing to offer me the post of Deputy Prime Minister?”

“I am grateful at being made a minister in charge of the religious portfolio although I am not officially an ulama. I am now satisfied and want to serve for the greater good of the nation,” he said.

“Anwar has his approach and I have mine. We are different. All I can say is his approach indicates he is a desperado,” he added.